Dental Hygiene in Escondido, CA
If we do not take care of our teeth, they can break down over time and become weak and brittle. If your teeth become filled with cavities and decay, you will need several different dental procedures to correct those issues. However, there are some things that you can do today, on your own, that will prevent some of these extensive dental surgeries. We have created this blog post to help you better understand some of the best ways to practice dental hygiene. Don’t hesitate to contact Marler Campbell Dental Group in Escondido, California, if you have any questions.
One of the best ways to ensure good dental hygiene is with your bi-annual visits to the dentist’s office. These cleanings will help you know if your teeth are healthy and strong. If there are any dental issues, we can catch them right away and treat them. That way, you can avoid lengthy and invasive dental surgeries. Bi-yearly visits can help everyone! Here is what you can expect when you come into our office for a professional dental cleaning.
Your bi-yearly visits will begin with an oral exam. At least once a year, you should plan on digital x-rays. The oral exam is brief and painless. One of our hygienists will check for cavities, tooth decay, gum disease (or gingivitis), and overcrowding or misalignment issues. If everything checks out and your teeth are healthy, we will give you a professional cleaning! We will talk about some of your options to correct those issues, if there are any, but we will still clean your teeth!
The cleaning is brief, and most patients actually enjoy it. One of our hygienists will begin with a scaler. The scaler looks like a metal hook, and the hygienist uses it to scrape plaque off your gumline. Afterward, we will use a high-powered brush to polish your teeth. Again, this should not cause any pain, but it will make your teeth feel brand new. We will professionally floss your teeth and provide you with the option of fluoride, which we strongly recommend. Don’t hesitate to reach out to us if you have any questions about a standard dental cleaning.
At-Home Dental Hygiene Tips and Practices
You can do several quick and easy things and will help you maintain good dental hygiene at home.
- Make sure you brush your teeth every day for at least two minutes. We also highly recommend the use of an electric toothbrush. If the bristles are flattening, make sure you replace the head, as flattened bristles are not nearly as effective.
- Make sure you floss at least once a day. We know that it can be hard to reach the back corners of your mouth, but it can help prevent gum disease.
- Use mouthwash! Mouthwash is often forgotten, but any leftover bacteria will be killed using mouthwash.
- Avoid sugary foods. Excessive amounts of sugar can brittle and weaken your teeth. It is one of the most common causes of cavities. By limiting the amount of sugar you eat, the stronger you can make your teeth.
- Take good care of your teeth by not opening packaging with them or tearing threads. This can weaken them as well.
- Drink water! Drinking water and staying hydrated is good for your overall health, but it also will help your teeth remain strong and healthy!
We love and care for all of our patients at Marler Campbell Dental Group. We want to help you avoid extensive and expensive dental procedures and keep your smile healthy and strong. Come into our dental office in Escondido, California, today for a check-up! Contact us with any questions!